I obsess about stuff, what I carry around every day, and also what I carry when I travel. The goal is to carry as little stuff and weight as possible, but without losing any of the amenities of home.
Here is my current setup. It has changed quite a lot since the last time I blogged it. I’m also adding a special page linked from the top navigation section. The goal is to keep this more up to date than every four years, and the link at the top will always be the most recent #go bag post.
From top left to bottom right:
- Sleep mask & ear plugs – Great for sleeping on a plane, or taking a power nap at work.
- Laptop – MacBook Air; super easy to lug around
- Kindle – I read a lot
- Tablet – Mostly a Twitter and Netflix machine
- The Declaration of Independence & The Constitution – One of my most prized
possessions; I’m collecting autographs of famous libertarians
- The bag itself – Timbuk2
- Collapsable Nalgene Canteen Bag – All of the convenience of a water bottle, none of the weight or wasted space
- Grid-It w/aspirin, Visene, spare ink, & Listerene strips
- Chromecast – perfect for watching Netflix on the go (if you’ve got a TV with a spare HDMI port laying around)
- Emergency phone charger w/zip-style USB cable
- Cliff bar – emergency snack
- Business cards
- Collapsable tray – great for tossing my keys, wallet, etc in (only take this on
long trips; usually it stays in the same place at home)
- Laptop charger w/cable wrap
- Pen / Sharpie / Pencil
- Purse Hook
- External micro-USB battery